Police Find 4 Month Old Chihuahua Overdosed on Heroin

Article by: David Moye

Lucky was “pretty close to checking out”

A puppy named Lucky lived up to his name after swallowing heroin while waiting for his owners in a parked truck.

Police in Carrollton, Texas, found the 4-month-old Chihuahua mix looking sick inside a truck parked at a Home Depot parking lot on Saturday, according to WFAA-TV. Officers figured he swallowed drugs left on the floor and rushed him to a vet.

“We weren’t sure exactly what was going on with it, but there was drug paraphernalia,” police spokeswoman Jolene DeVito told CBS Dallas-Fort Worth. “Eventually we did find drugs in the car and made sure the puppy got medical attention right away. Sure enough, he was basically suffering from a heroin overdose.”

Police discovered Lucky’s owners inside the Home Depot, where they were allegedly switching price tags, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. They were identified as Thomas Romero, 46, and Nina Crawford, 38, both of Newark, Texas.

 


They were charged with possession of a controlled substance/heroin and fraudulent destruction, removal or concealment of writing. Animal abuse charges may be added, DeVito told CBS Dallas Fort Worth.

North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic vet Dr. Stacie Fowler told Chron.com that Lucky was nearly comatose when he arrived and was “pretty close to checking out.”

“He is adorable. He is a tiny little thing. probably only 4 months old and loves to give kisses and is wiggly and wags and is very, very sweet,” Fowler said. “He’s recovered from something that could have been fatal and thanks to the police staff and the staff here he was able to come out of it.”

Once Lucky is healthy, he will be placed in the care of Carrollton Animal Services, and will be put up for adoption.