Sample Page

It’s a cruel trick of nature that some of the most beautiful, colorful springtime plants pose a deadly temptation to the four-legged members of your family.

Before you head off to the garden center to pick out your seasonal blooms, make sure you know which plants present a deadly hazard for your pets.

#1: Tulips and Hyacinths

Tulips contain allergenic lactones. Lactones are derived from chemical compounds and taste a bit like whiskey. Hyacinths contain similar compounds.

It’s the bulbs of these two plants, not the leaves or flowers, which are toxic.

Symptoms of poisoning by one of these plants can include:

  • Mouth and esophageal irritation
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increase in heart rate
  • Changes in breathing

There’s no antidote if your pup is poisoned by eating a tulip or hyacinth bulb, and severe symptoms need immediate treatment.