Just bad dogs?
Do you know why Chihuahuas and some other toy breed dogs have such a bad reputation? Here’s a hint: it’s not because they were born bad. Two reasons actually:
- The dog wasn’t properly socialized
- Because they are so small, owners let them get away with rudeness. Some even think it’s cute.
I love to take my Chihuahuas with me whenever I can. It’s one of the best things about having a toy breed dog. If you want your Chi to be welcome at more places, manners are a must.
I had to learn this the hard way. I will admit that I let my first Chi get away with barking and snarling at strangers because when he was little, I thought it was cute too. “Oh look, he’s protecting me.” It wasn’t so cute when he got older. When I realized my mistake, I did not make the same one with my other Chis.
Do you want your dog to be a good ambassador for this wonderful, intelligent, adorable breed?
Here are 5 tips.
- You must nip a bad behavior in the bud before it becomes a habit. It’s easy to teach them good manners, and very difficult to unteach bad behavior.
- Always, always, always use positive training methods. Never, never, never hit or yell at your dog! Positive motivation works because they love your attention and they will perform anything you teach them over and over to get that positive attention that they love.
- The best way to teach them manners is to catch them doing something good, treat them, or praise them.
- To nip a bad behavior in the bud, the minute you see them do it, In a firm, but, kind voice tell then NO! They will soon get the idea that you don’t like it when they do that particular behavior.
- Never tell them no, or bad dog after the fact. They will have no clue what they did wrong. For instance, if he or she has an accident, but you don’t find it until later, don’t give it any attention at all, just clean it up and say or do nothing. Your dog will not understand the correlation between the accident and your displeasure.
Together, maybe we can dispel the myth that Chihuahuas and other toy breed dogs are mean little ankle biters!
Please share by clicking on one of the icons below: