It’s every dog parent’s biggest fear, getting their dog stolen. The very thought is unimaginable! With pet theft constantly on the rise, we as dog parents need to be very cautious. The most commonly stolen breeds are also the most popular breeds, thus thieves will snatch a dog and then sell it.
Most Commonly Stolen Breeds:
- Yorkshire Terrier: The Yorkie is simply adorable and tiny (although they are not the smallest breed, that title belongs to the Chi) No wonder these are the number one most stolen, a thief can sell one for anywhere between $800 to $5,000 (a show dog can go for as much as $10,000, but not without papers).
2. Pomeranian: These little dogs are playful, friendly, extroverted, active, intelligent, and sociable. They can be sold for between $500. to $1,200. Some websites price them all the way up to $5,000.
3. Maltese: These beautiful little pooches are described as being lively, playful, easygoing, gentle, and docile. Maltese are highly desirable dogs and can be sold for between $500. to $2,500.
4. French Bulldog: Frenchies have been described as playful, athletic, alert, easygoing, bright, keen, patient, affectionate, and sociable. That may be why they are Martha Stewart’s favorite breed. These cute little dogs can be sold for between $1,400. to $2,000.
5. Chihuahua: We know about these and why they are so often stolen. They are the smallest breed. They are devoted to their owners, smart, courageous and simply adorable. (yes, I am unapologetically prejudiced!). They can cost as little as $500. all the way up to $3,500. Especially popular are tiny ones that are sometimes described as “TEACUP” or “MICRO”.
6. Boston Terrier: Boston’s are described as lively, friendly, and intelligent. They are small, portable and make excellent therapy dogs. They can be sold for $500. to $1,200.
7. Labradoodle: A cross between a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle, these are wildly popular and affectionate dogs. One reason for their popularity is the fact that they are hypoallergenic and that makes them perfect for people with pet allergies. These dogs can be sold for between $2,500 to $2,750. Commonly stolen because they are so popular thus easily sold for a lot of money.
8. American Pitbull Terrier: This breed was once known as farm dogs. They later were brought into the house and often called “nanny” dogs because they are so gentle around children. Their tenacity and courage make them one of the most popular dog breeds. Sadly, savage and unscrupulous people looking for strong competitors for their dog fighting rings have led people to believe they are dangerous dogs. Nothing could be farther from the truth. These dogs can be sold for as little as $100. all the way up to $20,000, depending on their bloodlines.
9. German Shepherd: German shepherds are alert, curious, obedient, loyal, confident, courageous, and intelligent. All traits that make them very popular watch dogs. German Shepherds usually can be sold for between $300. to $500. However, if they are of show quality or good work dogs they can be as much as $6,000 to $7,000.
10. Pug: You know pugs as the cute little dogs with the smooched in muzzle. They are charming, playful, quiet, attentive and sociable. They can also be very stubborn. You can probably find a Pug for between $900. and $1,500.
How to keep yours safe:
Don’t leave your dog unattended in the yard even if you are home. If you can’t be home, then check your fence regularly to make sure there is no escape route. There are many stories of dogs being stolen out of yards, so if you can’t always be with them in the yard make sure you have a LOCK on your gate.
Don’t just tie your dog outside a store. If you need to leave them, be sure you have a LEASH LOCK so no one can come along and untie them.
Keep a close eye on your dog at the dog park. Thieves have been known to work in twos. One will distract you while the other snatches your dog.
While traveling, never ever leave your dog alone in the car, not even for a second. When we travel with our Chis we either stop at a drive-thru or one of us stays in the car with them. This is not only to prevent someone coming along and stealing them, it is also for their safety, especially on warm days. The outside temperature doesn’t have to be very high for the inside of the car to get dangerously hot, even with the windows down.
Get them spayed or neutered. An altered dog is less appealing to dog thieves because they can’t sell them to unscrupulous dog breeders or dog ring fighters or owners, in the case of the American Pitbull Terrier.
To you, your dog is priceless, but not so for would-be thieves. Never tell people what they are worth or how much you paid for them.
Never let your dog roam, not even if they come every time you call them. They are vulnerable to dog-nappers (yes, I said nappers-guess I’ve been reading too many mysteries).