When spring rolls around you will see a lot of articles on the internet about plants and flowers that are toxic to pets.
Fall Backyard Dog Hazards
But, spring isn’t the only time you have to be careful. There are plenty of other plants, fungi, etc. that can be found in your own backyard that could be very dangerous.
Mushrooms can be found everywhere in parks, in the woods, on walks, even in your own backyard. Wild mushrooms and be editable, and some can cause vomiting and or hallucinations—or even liver failure and death.
Thankfully, many mushroom species only cause gastrointestinal upset. Depending on the species, affected dogs begin to vomit within 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion; the vomiting can last a few hours to a couple of days.
In general, you should consult your veterinarian immediately if you suspect mushroom ingestion — and get a sample of the fungus if you are able.
Black walnuts are not necessarily toxic, by themselves. But the nuts can become poisonous when they fall from trees and grow molds, which can cause tremors and seizures if ingested.
If you suspect that your dog may have ingested a moldy black walnut, call the APCC at (888) 426-4435 or contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.*
* A $65 consultation fee may apply.
Acorns contain a toxin called gallotannin. Dogs usually do not ingest heavy quantities of acorns, but if they do consume a few that dropped to the ground, they may have mild to moderate gastrointestinal upset. Acorns can also become lodged in the GI tract and cause an obstruction.
The leaves, bark, and twigs of many trees, such as oak, red maple, cherry, and apple, can be irritating and even toxic to dogs if consumed. Running through leaf piles might be fun, but make sure your dog isn’t doing any snacking while playing.
Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale) contains chemotherapy-like compounds that attack rapidly dividing cells in the body. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and possible death. Do not confuse this flower with the innocuous spring crocus (Crocus spp.), which is not toxic.
A bouquet of lilies might seem like a nice gift for the upcoming holiday season, but some types of lilies are very toxic to dogs. The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA.
Yews are commonly used as landscaping plants since they stay green year-round. A pet looking for something green to nibble on may be tempted to take a bite. But yews contain compounds that can cause an irregular heartbeat or even stop the heart. Sudden death can occur within hours of ingestion.
Autumn is a beautiful time of year
Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year. Enjoy the cool crisp air and the bright, beautiful fall leaves with your dog this fall, but stay safe.
Want more like this? Want health, training tips, cute and informative videos, and weekly sales and deals in your inbox once a week? Then Join ChiChis And Me and you’ll get that and more!
Do you spoil your pooch with gifts? Do you like to give your friend’s dogs (don’t leave out the cats, they get very jealous!) gifts? It’s fun, isn’t it? Here is my top 10 favorite gifts for your Chi or any dog you know.